As great as carpet looks in a home, it could take a mere second for it to get spoiled by a nasty stain becoming a source of filth as well as irritation, not to mention an eyesore. Carpet stains are very common, and they can happen in any form including stained footwear, liquid spills and pet actions. The carpets covering the largest spaces in a home are a lot more susceptible to these stains, and they always call for an on-the-spot cleaning. If the stains are not removed as immediately they stain the carpet; the stain could damage the carpet. Now, most people have no experience in stain removal nor do they happen to have the right cleaning equipment, and when this happens, they commit numerous unintentional mistakes that only worsen the stains instead of removing them.
Below are some of the top things you should never do in the situation of carpet stain to avoid permanent marks and damages to your otherwise beautiful expensive carpets.
- Do not delay the cleaning procedure because the longer they stay, the worse the stain becomes. Dig out the solids and absorb the liquids with a clean, soft cloth.
- Do not use a carpet cleaning solution without first testing it on a discreet area.
- Do not wipe or even scrub, not even gently. You should tackle the carpet very tenderly using a stain remover to prevent the stain from being absorbed more profoundly in the fibres. You should also consider blotting with a clean towel.
- Do not rub the spill on the carpet either. If you do this, you will only push the stain further deeper into the carpet, and you will fray the fibres if you rub too hard.
- Do not stop cleaning the stain with the clean clothes until all the stain goes away and there is no more on the blotting cloth.
- Do not, under any circumstances over-wet the carpet. What you should do is mix water with a moderate amount of the cleaning solution. If you add water, it will seep in the carpet and ruin the delicate backing.
- Do not use too much of soap or cleaning solution because soap will leave residue behind and the cleaning solution might as well. Too much residue will be cause for future staining.
- Do not clean without rinsing, which is very important because it will remove the excess solvent, soap or stain remover. If you do not and leave residue on the carpet, you will be inviting dirt to the spot and an additional stain.
- Hot water can be very good for cleaning stains but do not put your hand because you risk burning yourself. Instead, you can just use a heated carpet extractor or a carpet cleaner that hold water in water tanks.
- Do not apply a solvent directly on the stain unless there are proper ventilation and protection from sparks.
- Do not use alcohol on acrylic surfaces
- Do not, ever; air dries your carpet because it will lead to visible stains. Instead, cover that spot with a porous white cloth and then place a heavy stainless object and let it sit to dry overnight.